Ruthenium(II) bipyridine complexes: from synthesis and crystal structures to electrochemical and cytotoxicity investigation
AutoriBaroud, Afya A.
Mihajlović-Lalić, Ljiljana E.
Gligorijević, Nevenka N.
Stanković, Dalibor M.
Radulović, Siniša S.
Van Hecke, Kristof
Članak u časopisu (Recenzirana verzija)
MetapodaciPrikaz svih podataka o dokumentu
Complexes 1-4, [Ru(L)(bpy)(2)]PF6, where bpy=2,2-bipyridine; HL=3-methylpyridine-2-carboxylic acid (HL1), 6-methylpyridine-2-carboxylic acid (HL2), 5-bromopyridine-2-carboxylic acid (HL3) and 6-bromopyridine-2-carboxylic acid (HL4), were synthesized and characterized. The electrochemical character of the complexes was investigated by cyclic voltammetry revealing two reversible reduction waves in the negative range of potentials, most likely due to a reduction of the bipyridine moiety. Cytotoxicity studies by MTT assay for 72h of drug action revealed that 2-4 exhibited moderate activity in cervical human tumor cells (HeLa). Complex 2 exhibited low activity in colon cancer LS-174 cells (180 +/- 10), while all complexes were devoid of activity in lung cancer A549 and non-tumor MRC-5 cells, up to 200M. Combinational studies of the most active complex 2, with pharmacological modulators of cell redox status, L-buthionine-sulfoximine (L-BSO) or N-acetyl-L-cysteine (NAC), showed that when L-BS...O potentiated, 2 induced a sub-G1 peak of the cell cycle in the HeLa cell line. UV-vis and cyclic voltammetry were performed in order to investigate the binding mode of 2 to DNA and suggested intercalation for the complex-DNA interaction. [GRAPHICS]
Ključne reči:Ruthenium(II) bipyridine complexes / crystal structure / redox properties / cytotoxicity / DNA intercalation
Izvor:Journal of Coordination Chemistry, 2017, 70, 5, 831-847
- Reinforcement of the Faculty of Chemistry, University of Belgrade, towards becoming a Center of Excellence in the region of WB for Molecular Biotechnology and Food research (EU-256716)
- Racionalni dizajn i sinteza biološki aktivnih i koordinacionih jedinjenja i funkcionalnih materijala, relevantnih u (bio)nanotehnologiji (RS-172035)
- Farmakodinamska i farmakogenomska ispitivanja novijih lekova u lečenju solidnih tumora (RS-41026)
- Hercules Foundation [AUGE/11/029]
- Research Foundation - Flanders (FWO) [22.214.171.124N]
- Strengthening of the MagBioVin Research and Innovation Team for Development of Novel Approaches for Tumour Therapy based on Nanostructured Materials (EU-621375)
- This is accepted peer-reviewed version of the article: Baroud, A. A., Mihajlović-Lalić, L. E., Gligorijević, N., Aranđelović, S., Stanković, D., Radulović, S., ... & Grgurić-Šipka, S. (2017). Ruthenium (II) bipyridine complexes: from synthesis and crystal structures to electrochemical and cytotoxicity investigation. Journal of Coordination Chemistry, 70(5), 831-847. https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00958972.2017.1282611
- Published version: https://vinar.vin.bg.ac.rs/handle/123456789/1438