The radioprotective activities of turpentine-induced inflammation and alpha(2)-macroglobulin: The effect of dexamethasone on the radioprotective efficacy of the inflammation
Ribarac-Stepić, Nevena B.
Чланак у часопису
МетаподациПриказ свих података о документу
This work was aimed at the radioprotective efficacy of turpentine oil (TO), alpha(2)-Macroglobulin (alpha(2)-M), Amifostine (Ami) and/or dexamethasone (Dex). These agents were administrated, alone or in combination, prior to irradiation of rats with 6.7 Gy (LD50/30). The survival was recorded daily for 4 weeks after irradiation and body weight, peripheral leukocytes and thrombocytes were measured. The plasma concentration of alpha(2)-M and other acute phase proteins were determined by crossed immunoelectrophoresis. All rats receiving alpha(2)-M and Ami alone or in combination survived the radiation injury, whereas the rate of survival of TO-treated rats was 90%. Radiation and therapy-induced changes in the expression of acute phase protein genes were atypical for the acute phase reaction. Dex alone was lethal for 45% and 55% of control and irradiated rats, respectively. Pretreatment with 1mg Dex reduced radioprotective efficacy of TO and Ami to 30% and 40%, respectively. Given together... TO and Ami provided 70% protection to rats receiving Dex. The TO and GYM enhanced the rate of survival from 50% to 90% and 100%, respectively. In the presence of 1 mg Dex the TO-induced radioprotectors and Ami exhibited radiosensitizing rather than radioprotecting activities.
Кључне речи:inflammation / irradiation / radioprotection / alpha(2)-macroglobulin / dexamethasone
Извор:Journal of Radiation Research, 2003, 44, 1, 59-67
ISSN: 0449-3060 (print)